Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lesson from Innocence

Today on my daily outing with the dogs, I came across an injured, newborn rabbit. It was flailing around and no mother or nest was in sight. I called a friend that I knew could help me determine what to do. I eventually placed the kit (baby bunny) in a box with a hand towel for padding and warmth. I went back to the area to take a better look and see if I could find a nest to return the kit to. Before I set out, I asked the neighbor girls if they would like to help me find the bunny’s nest so I could return the baby to its mother, then showed them the newborn. They were naturally, excited to help. The neighbor girls rounded up some other girlfriends and the six of us set out to the grassy area. I split them up into groups and described a nest so that they knew what to look for. When we arrived we found three more kits scattered about. One was not breathing.

The girls quickly ran to the aid of the small, day old kits. They picked up the living ones and put them in the box next to their sibling. When they picked them up, they found that the kits had been cut and injured. It’s possible that a predator – maybe an owl – picked them from the nest and dropped them off in that area. The girls were deeply concerned for the safety and comfort of the newborn rabbits. While a few of us searched for the nest, a few girls tended to the kits, and two asked if they could bury the dead kit. When the two asked, the other girls also said that they wanted to bury the kit.

“Ms., can we please bury the bunny?”
“Yes, if you want to bury the bunny you can. That is very sweet and respectful of you girls.”


The girls started digging a grave with sticks they found in the area. When the hole was large enough, they picked up the baby, placed it in the ground and then covered it. Two of the girls fashioned a cross for the grave site and stuck it on top of the mound of dirt. All of the girls were crying.

“What do we do now?”
“Well, if you want, you can say some words of remembrance or a prayer.”


The girls gathered in a circle, arm-in-arm, and said a prayer. One girl said a few words about the bunny’s short life. Another requested a moment of silence for the dead bunny. I watched the girls from afar and became filled with emotion. These girls were so caring and went out of their way to help the creatures in need.
The girls were all probably younger than 11 and all were showing their inherently child-like innocence. A sweetness that is still in them probably for few more short years. How great a lesson to learn from these children about the beauty and importance of life? The girls reaffirmed for me something that I’ve known, but not felt at this deep of a level since the miscarriage. Life is precious. That bunny was a mystery of creation. It had a spirit. It was a living being.

The girls were crying because a precious creature that was beautifully designed was dead. It never got a chance to live a full life. I know that nature is nature and that bunny could have died at any age, time, place, etc., but the fact of the matter is that the girls recognized that being once had a heartbeat and breath.It lived.

I’m so glad to have been with those girls today so that we could have the experience together. They reminded me of the preciousness of life. A life born into this the world is magical thing. Creation is a powerful gift. It should never be taken for granted. It should never be abused.

The story of the kits ends well, or so I think. A woman retrieved them to rehabilitate. She was instructed well enough to do so. She said we will keep in touch. I’m anxious to hear how they are doing. Good luck sweet little babies.
I’m thankful for today’s experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment